POST DOCTORAL POSITION IN MARINE MAMMAL GENETICS (24 months)
The Hampton University Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences (Dr. Carolina Bonin Lewallen’s Lab) invites applications for a post-doctoral researcher in marine mammal genetics beginning September 2023 (24 month position).
Founded in 1868, Hampton University is a leading historically black university (HBCU) located on the Virginia Peninsula in the City of Hampton. It is a privately endowed, co-educational, nonsectarian institution.
Duties and Responsibilities
We are seeking a motivated, enthusiastic individual to join Dr. Carolina Bonin Lewallen’s team as a post-doctoral researcher on an NSF- funded project “Move, adapt, or change: Examining the adaptive capacity of a Southern Ocean apex predator, the leopard seal”.
The postdoctoral researcher will be primarily responsible for data generation and data analyses for a global population genetics study of leopard seals. The candidate will work collaboratively with an international team of scientists, assist the PI with mentorship for undergraduate and graduate students, provide support on grant and laboratory management/upkeep, and participate in Departmental and University academic activities. We value diversity in all forms and welcome applicants from all backgrounds to join us.
Minimum Qualifications. The candidate must have the following:
– PhD in Biology, with emphasis in ecology, evolutionary biology, wildlife genetics, or a related field. ABD PhD candidates will be considered.
– Experience (1-2 years) analyzing genetics data for non-model organisms (e.g., RADseq and mitogenomes)
– Outstanding writing and communication skills
Preferred Qualifications. The candidate will ideally have some or all of the following:
– Ability to customize analytical packages already available (mostly in R) to analyze large genetic datasets
– Laboratory skills (e.g., DNA/ RNA extractions; PCR; RT qPCR)
– Familiarity with large mammal biology/ecology
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please send the documents listed below to Dr. Carolina Bonin Lewallen, Hampton University
– Full CV
– Brief cover letter (2 pages max.) detailing your qualifications and experience relative to the position
– A separate file listing three recommenders and their full contact information
– This position will be open until filled.
– This position will not be able to sponsor work visas of candidates not eligible to work in the United States at the time of the appointment.