Payroll & Accounting Specialist
Location of Position: Marin Headlands, Sausalito, California
Reports to: Controller
Position Classification / Expected Time commitment and work schedule:
• This is a full-time, exempt, hybrid position, with 2-3 days on site, and 2-3 days at home.
• Days and hours of work may vary according to the needs of The Marine Mammal Center.
• Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
• Travel is not expected for this position.
Compensation Range: $65,000 – $80,000 per year
• Sick Time
• Medical, Dental, and Vision
• Life Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• 401k Retirement Plan
• Employee Assistance Program
We are seeking a payroll and accounting professional to join our finance team! Do you have an analytical mind, exceptional attention to detail, strong organizational skills and want to be a part of a mission driven organization? If so, we would love to learn more about you, and welcome your application.
The Payroll & Accounting Specialist is responsible for the bi-weekly preparation, processing, and reporting of payroll to ensure accuracy of payroll and compliance with all applicable regulations. On a weekly basis, is responsible for processing accounting transactions, including accounts payable, cash disbursements, and bank deposits. Provides friendly and timely service to both internal staff and external contacts, while maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail that is required of an accounting system, while staying up to date with industry changes and new developments to align with best practice standards.
• Process bi-weekly payroll for all employees in Paylocity HRIS system.
• Coordinate with the HR to ensure time entries and all employee changes are processed in a timely and accurate manner.
• Ensure accurate calculation of wages, deductions, and taxes, staying updated and current on payroll tax regulations and compliance requirements.
• Resolve payroll discrepancies and answer employee inquiries regarding pay-related matters.
• Prepare journal entry to post payroll expenses by department to the general ledger to ensure proper allocation of payroll cost.
• Reconcile and allocate monthly benefits.
• Reconcile payroll and payroll tax expense to quarterly payroll report filings.
• Coordinate with multiple state tax agencies to maintain accounts.
• Oversee review of annual W-2 forms through Paylocity.
• Support financial audit, workers’ compensation audit, and tax filings as needed.
Accounts Payable: 40%
• Manage vendor list and administer W-9 and ACH forms.
• Sort and distribute Finance mail and invoices to department personnel for approval and follow-up as needed.
• Enter approved invoices, ensuring transactions are coded and processed accurately.
• Conduct weekly payment runs and wire transfers.
• Respond to staff requests for petty cash reimbursements and record related expenses.
• Manage the corporate credit card process, including auditing expense reports, adding, and removing employees in the credit card program, and preparing the journal entries for upload.
• Prepare annual 1099 forms, ensuring accuracy.
General Accounting: 15%
• Batch bank deposits for earned revenue.
• Prepare and reconcile cash bags for armored car pickups.
• Review bank statement for all Payroll and AP related transactions to ensure they are recorded in the finance system.
• File accounting documents, keep filing systems organized and updated; manage record retention.
• Conduct accounting procedures orientation for all new employees.
• Work pro-actively and collaboratively to support and strengthen the overall efficiency and effectiveness of accounting controls and procedures.
Other Duties as Assigned: 5%
• Perform special projects and research as assigned.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• High level of accuracy and great attention to detail.
• Knowledge of basic accounting principles.
• Knowledge of internal controls for payroll cycle.
• Proficient software skills including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) financial and payroll systems. Knowledge and experience with Paylocity and/or Blackbaud’s Financial systems are a plus.
• Highly proficient skills in Microsoft Excel, including functions such as vlookup, pivot tables, and data analysis.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Comfortable with individual and group presentations.
• Excellent analytic skills.
• Knowledge of federal, multi-state, and local payroll tax laws and compliance with government regulations.
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
• Excellent problem-solving, time-management, and organizational skills.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
• Exhibits high degree of professionalism and confidentiality in handling and have access to sensitive information.
• Consistently demonstrate tact, discretion, and good judgement.
• Ability to maintain a high level of customer service with internal and external customers, responding to questions in a timely manner, taking responsibility in a consistently generous and helpful way, while maintaining a positive attitude.
• Communicate and interact effectively with people across cultures, ethnic groups, and identities.
• Practice self-awareness and respect while engaging with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Willingness to support and participate in The Marine Mammal Center’s diversity, equity, and inclusion programs.
Certifications and/or Licenses:
• Valid driver license with acceptable motor vehicle record to maintain standards of insurability.
• Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination or waiver (medical or religious)
Preferred Education and Experience:
This position requires a combination of education and/or experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field; and 2 years’ experience in accounting or bookkeeping, and 2 years’ experience processing payroll, and 1 year of accounts payable experience.
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
• This position operates in a professional office, laboratory, and hospital environment both indoors and outdoors with access to other parts of the facilities via outdoor pathways.
• Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, and filing cabinets.
• Ability to work at a desk for extended periods using a computer.
• Ability to move up to 30 pounds.
• Limited exposure to allergens and zoonotic diseases.
• Involves smells associated with animals and the care of animals.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
The Marine Mammal Center actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We are committed to embracing diversity within our organization because we firmly believe that diverse employee teams help us to achieve our best organizational outcomes and provide the most effective support to the communities we serve. We are deeply dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive, equitable and supportive work environment. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. The Marine Mammal Center believes in growth and supporting our employees as best we can so they can become their best selves in and outside of work. We believe that a healthy work environment means building an inclusive culture where people can thrive together and feel supported and empowered. We believe in stretch versus constraint.
The Marine Mammal Center advances global conservation through marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation, scientific research, and education.
ABOUT THE MARINE MAMMAL CENTER
The Marine Mammal Center is leading the field in ocean conservation through marine mammal rescue, veterinary medicine, science, and education.
For more information, please visit our “About Us” page at www.marinemammalcenter.org
To Apply: Application Link: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/2185140/Marine-Mammal-Center/Payroll-Accounting-Specialist?source=The%20Society%20for%20Marine%20Mammalogy
Please submit a cover letter and resume and provide a brief description about how your experience aligns with the role.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
In your cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. The Center is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.