The SMM gives, recognizes and facilitates the distribution of a number of awards, prizes and grants at our Biennial Conference.
Conference Prizes and Awards
- Conservation Merit Prize
Public recognition given to a person, team, or organization contributing toward solving a pressing conservation problem for marine mammals, either ongoing or resulting in a conservation success.
- F.G. Wood Memorial Scholarship Award
For the best student manuscript in Marine Mammal Science. The winner is also invited to give a plenary at the Biennial Conference.
- Frederic Fairfield Memorial Award
Recognizes and supports young scientists (students) who have developed or applied pioneering techniques or research tools for studying marine mammals.
- J. Stephen Leatherwood Memorial Award
Recognizes conservation value of the research and the benefits of supporting researchers from developing countries in Asia.
- IFAW Award for Welfare and Conservation
For the best research presented at the biennial conference on animal welfare and conservation.
- SMM Student Conference Awards
- A variety of awards given to students presenting at the Biennial Conference. See criteria and information on upcoming Student Awards here.
- See past winners and presentations here.
- Audience Favourites and Judges Discretionary Awards
Conference Travel Grants
- Leatherwood Student Travel Grants
Support travel for outstanding Asian student researchers to present their work at the biennial conference.
- Stu Innes Memorial Student Travel Bursary
For a post-secondary student conducting marine mammal research in the Arctic, supporting travel to the Biennial Conference.
- Low Income Country Travel Grants
Conference travel support for a limited number of scientific colleagues who are full-time principal investigators who are both native to and working in low income countries.
- Student Travel Grants
Conference travel support for students who are presenting at the conference.