Stranding Technicians are responsible for all aspects of stranding response and animal care at the Marine
Mammal Stranding Center (MMSC) in Brigantine, New Jersey. Stranding Technicians are also responsible for
coordinating the efforts of volunteers as well as local, State, and Federal authorities during stranding responses
in the field. This position requires a high level of commitment and flexibility with regards to scheduling to
accommodate the unpredictable nature of stranding response and required 24/7 on-call status.
• Coordinate stranding response, recovery, and documentation of cetaceans, seals, and sea turtles within
the designated response area.
• Collect data and complete required documentation for all stranded animals and complete required
reporting to databases.
• Coordinate and conduct or assist veterinarian in necropsies both in the field and at MMSC, including
coordinating the disposal of carcasses and waste materials.
• Provide husbandry care to animals in rehabilitation.
• Ensure adequate safety training and PPE for all volunteers on all procedures involved in stranding
response and necropsy, including hazardous and biological waste training, animal handling, and
zoonotic disease transmission.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• College graduate with degree and/or coursework in the appropriate area of specialization (i.e., Biology,
Zoology, Marine Biology, Veterinary/ Veterinary Technician program).
• Relevant experience caring for animals in animal rehabilitation, zoo, aquarium, or veterinary hospital
setting (may be a combination of paid and unpaid work).
• Ability to lift and carry 50lbs unassisted, and work under harsh weather conditions.
• Living near Brigantine, NJ to ensure response time of less than 30 minutes.
• Experience in animal husbandry and knowledge of marine mammals and sea turtles.
• High level of commitment and flexibility with regards to scheduling.
• High level interpersonal communication skills, excellent organizational skills, and ability to work
independently and as part of a team.
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org