The Audubon Aquarium of the Americas is looking for a motivated, hardworking individual to participate in our Marine Mammal Training Internship. We are looking for candidates who are interested in gaining experience working in the marine mammal training field. The intern will work directly with the animal training staff and are exposed to all aspects of the daily care and training of our collection of 0.2 Southern sea otters, Enhydra lutris nereis. Heavy emphasis is placed on essential daily tasks such as food preparation, daily cleaning/facility maintenance, enrichment, and gaining a basic understanding of the principles of training. Interns shadow trainers and learn through observation about marine mammal husbandry and operant conditioning techniques. As interns gain experience, they may have the opportunity to assist with basic behavioral maintenance. (Please note: all contact with animals is contingent upon trainer approval and intern performance)
Essential responsibilities include but are not limited to: food preparation, exhibit maintenance, daily and weekly cleaning tasks, public presentations, daily enrichment, and daily animal observations. Interns will also participate in required reading and coordinating worksheets.
- Must commit to the 14 week internship semester
- Must commit to a schedule of 24 hours per week, working 7:30am-3:30pm Thursdays – Sundays
- Candidates must have completed at least two years of undergraduate education in a Biology or Psychology related field
- Able to lift 50 lbs and climb ladders/stairs without assistance
- May be asked to work holidays
- Must pass a background check and may be subject to random drug testing
- Must have strong communication skills and be comfortable engaging a diverse audience.
- This is a non-paid internship, interns are responsible for all housing, transportation and living expenses.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resumes to: Kristine Grzenda Curator, Audubon Aquarium of the Americas Husbandry Department 1 Canal Street New Orleans, LA, 70130 or email to email@example.com with the subject “Sea Otter Internship” Dates of Position: Spring, February- May Summer, May- August Fall, August- November Winter, November- February In the event their preferred placement has been filled, qualified applicants may be referred to other Audubon departments. By submitting application materials, the candidate agrees to release their information to our internship staff.
Audubon Nature Institute
6500 Magazine St.
New Orleans, LA 70118