I wanted to invite members to apply to an internship being offered at Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s (FWC) Charlotte Harbor Field Lab in Port Charlotte, Florida. See description below:
Interns will assist with manatee rescue, carcass salvage, and research for ten counties, and cetacean rescue, carcass salvage, and research for three counties in southwest Florida. Interns will operate trucks, trailers, and boats up to 22′ in length. Interns will assist with manatee and dolphin field necropsies as needed and conduct photo ID and radio tracking research as time permits. Interns will also complete mortality reports, label and catalog slides, perform equipment maintenance, and assist with other office and public outreach work as needed. The intern is required to complete a project and a 10-15 minute presentation at the end of their internship. This position is unpaid and housing is not provided. Interns must provide their own transportation to and from the field station.
- College juniors, seniors, and graduates are eligible.
- Interns must have some research field experience.
- Interns must be comfortable speaking to the public.
- Previous experience in the use of 35 mm cameras, telephoto lenses, and filters is preferred, but can be trained.
- Computer literacy
- Previous animal handling experience is desirable but not necessary.
- Ability to trailer and operate watercrafts up to 22′ in length and experience with radio telemetry tracking gear is desirable.
- Interns must possess a valid US Class E driver’s license, be able to lift 50 lbs., and swim.
- Interns should understand that this job will require them to be wet, dirty and outdoors in all weather conditions.
We are accepting applications for the fall, summer and winter-spring sessions. Please indicate in your cover letter the position for which you are applying. Please send a hard copy of your r?sum? along with your cover letter, college transcripts, three references, and contact information to the following address:
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
Southwest Field Laboratory
585 Prineville Drive
Port Charlotte, FL 33954
Office: (941) 613-0944
Fax: (941) 613-0948