For job descriptions, requirements, and to apply, please visit the link: https://jobs.myflorida.com/job/TALLAHASSEE-F-&-W-BIOLOGICAL-SCIENTIST-III-77070316-FL-32311/746271200/
Application packets must be submitted through the State of Florida’s official employment site (https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/) and must include a cover letter and resume in addition to the state application. Application packets without a cover letter, resume and state application will not be considered for the position.
Description of duties:
This position is located within the Imperiled Species Management Section and assists with developing conservation measures to reduce potential adverse impacts to species and their habitat under the responsibility of the Section, with a focus on Florida manatee and marine turtle conservation. This environmental commenting position is primarily office-based and field work may be limited.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
1) drafting biological opinions for regulatory and planning authorizations such as Environmental Resource Permitting (ERP), Coastal Construction Control Line permits (CCCL), Sovereign Submerged Lands Leases (SSL), Joint Coastal Permits (JCP), various management plans, comprehensive plan amendments and State Clearinghouse items under Coastal Zone Management Program (CZMP);
2) implementing county manatee protection plans;
3) reviewing and commenting on coastal lighting plans and wildlife appropriate lighting fixtures;
4) providing technical assistance to other sections within the agency, as well as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Army Corps of Engineers, Port Authorities, and county/city governments;
5) working with local, state and federal agencies and stakeholder groups to conserve, enhance, and protect manatee and marine turtle habitat;
6) initiating, managing and/or attending meetings, workshops, and create/deliver presentations;
7) acting as agency expert witness in administrative hearings;
8) assisting with management of the agency’s Project Tracking System;
9) performing other duties as required, including but not limited to: assisting with information and outreach projects and assisting with other field activities, such as site visits and data collection, as directed.