The following Terms of Reference were developed for the Committee on Taxonomy.
- Prepare a list of recognized species and subspecies of marine mammals, for posting on the Society website and the Marine Mammal Science website. Decision on content is by majority vote of the Committee.
- Update the List as new descriptions of species or subspecies or other taxonomic actions appear in the technical literature, adhering to principles and procedures specified in the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (Fourth Edition, 1999) and opinions and directions issued by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. Decision on updates is by majority vote of the Committee.
- On request by the Editor of Marine Mammal Science, review manuscripts or portions of manuscripts dealing with formal descriptions of new taxa or other taxonomic actions.
- As requested, provide advice to Members on questions relating to description of new taxa or other aspects of taxonomy.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the President.
- Chair to retain hard copies of email or postal communications among Committee members regarding updates to the List and other matters relating to taxonomic decisions or opinions and pass to the Secretary for inclusion in the Society’s archives upon completion of the Chair’s term.