The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies (“IMMS”), a private, non-profit organization located in Gulfport, Mississippi, is seeking motivated, dedicated, and experienced individuals to become part of our Animal Care and Training team. Trainers will be responsible for all aspects of the daily care and training of marine mammals (dolphins and sea lions), exotic birds, sea turtles, and other animals at our facility. For more information regarding our organization, visit our websites at www.imms.org and oceanadventures.us.
***Applications and support documents can be submitted to email@example.com
We are seeking a veterinary technician/assistant to provide support to our veterinarians for resident animals (dolphins, sea lions, sharks, birds, reptiles, etc.), sea turtle and marine mammal rehabilitation, and stranding response. Job duties will be varied based on season, but will include animal care, data entry, providing laboratory support, necropsies, pharmacy ordering, and other tasks as needed.
This position will require providing medical and technical assistance, care, and daily treatments to all of the animals at IMMS, including residents and those in rehabilitation. The person hired for this position will assist in maintaining diagnostic equipment, as well as ordering and maintaining inventory for laboratory consumables and drugs. (IMMS resident animals include: dolphins, sea lions, birds, reptiles, fish etc.).
Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays, and to be “on call” as needed
• Strong communication skills, personable, pleasant and comfortable with the ability to speak to the public
• This position requires several hours of outdoor year-round work and requires staff to be physically fit and able to lift 50 lbs.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience working as a veterinary technician.
• Preference will be given to applicants with registered/licensed veterinary technician certification, or with experience at a zoo, wildlife center, or with exotic animal.
• Applicants must have valid driver’s license.
• Experience with Microsoft Office and databases are desirable.
• Must be able to work independently and as a team with the willingness to learn.
• Must have knowledge in the use of medical equipment such as; digital radiology, endoscopy, ultrasound, anesthesia machine, Doppler, cold laser therapy, V.A.C therapy, and fluid administration
• In good physical condition with the ability to work outdoors under extremely adverse conditions (high humidity, rain, heat and direct sunlight)
• Applicants may need to complete a probationary period.
Resume must include experience, certifications, skills, and professional references that may be contact
• Veterinary technician: 2 years (Preferred)
• High school or equivalent (Required), Veterinary Technician (License preferred but not required)