Great Australian Bight Right Whale Study (Head of Bight, South Australia)
The Curtin University Great Australian Bight Right Whale Study (GABRWS) is seeking two research interns for the 2022 season.
This study contributes to the long term monitoring of southern right whales in the Great Australian Bight, South Australia, now in its 32nd year.
Work is completed at the Head of Bight and Fowlers Bay, in the Great Australian Bight, South Australia. This area is very remote and isolated with limited resources.
Duties will include cliff-based census of aggregation area, photo identification, data entry and matching of photo ID to the long-term catalogue.
This position is available for 7 weeks: July 13 – September 1, 2022. We ask that the intern is able to commit for the entire period. Some time commitment prior to the field season is also required for training and project contribution.
This is an unpaid position, and the successful applicant will be responsible for transport costs to and from Adelaide, South Australia where they will be met and driven to the study site (two-day drive).
Food, travel and accommodation expenses will be covered during the internship fieldwork. Accommodation is very basic and includes shared kitchen/living/office space and a private room.
• Undergraduate degree in marine biology/conservation biology or a related major (honours preferred)
• Marine mammal research background (preferred)
• Strong observational skills, note taking abilities, and careful attention to detail
• Reliable, motivated, positive attitude
• Ability to work and live closely with others as part of a small team
• Ability to work in a remote and isolated area
• Strong work ethic with the ability to work unsupervised
• Field research/survey experience
• Computer and written skills
• Speak, read and write in fluent English
• Interest in science communication and social media
• UAV experience
Preference will be given to individuals with experience in right whale photo identification and matching, although this is not essential, and training will be provided.
To apply please send a CV with reference and cover letter (no more than 1 single sided A4 page) to email@example.com by 5pm ACST on 3 June 2022.
For further information on the study visit www.gabrightwhales.com or https://www.facebook.com/southernrightwhales
For more information on Curtin University’s Centre for Marine Science and Technology visit cmst.curtin.edu.au